Thursday, August 17, 2006

Yet Another Forum Letter

I saw another forum letter which is highly amusing.
Aug 17, 2006
With the PAP in charge, who needs opposition parties?


I find it amazing that many people can be so pissed off with the Singapore Government. What for?

I am no politician but a working man. I do not have many facts but I know what I want and what I need.

We have many jobs in Singapore and unemployment is not a major problem. We have good housing. Our economy may not be super but it's good enough in that our Sing dollar is stronger than some other currencies.

We have a low crime rate. At least I know that I don't fear walking down the street with the thought of being killed or stabbed. So there's no problem with jobs, housing, getting food on the table.

It's a pretty safe place to live in; no problem in getting big foreign investors to invest and create jobs in our country. So what is the problem?

Many people say that Singapore is not democratic enough. But which country in the world is truly democratic? I don't think there is one because it's impossible.

The USA? UK? Many Americans and British opposed the idea of going to war in Iraq. Not all opposed it, but almost half the population did. Opinions were split, at least in the UK.

Yet what did Tony Blair and George Bush do? They did not wait for another round of UN inspections and talks, etc. They invaded Iraq the moment they could.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't democracy supposed to be when the majority or everyone is for the idea, and action is taken? That's the whole reason for consulting the public in the first place. Otherwise what's the use of it?

So if it's not the case of making Singapore a super, truly democratic country, what's the problem? Getting more opposition into parliament? But why? Is the PAP doing something wrong?

I cannot honestly see what's wrong. All I can see is that the need for jobs, food, housing and security are all met.

So what is the PAP doing wrong? Do we want to get more opposition into the parliament for the sake of it? So that the PAP will not be the dominant party? But why?

Will the opposition really do anything different that I want? I cannot imagine having any more needs other than jobs, food, housing and security. And I find the PAP is doing a good job at them. So why would I want anything different?

Why spoil something that's already working? If one day the PAP starts to get things wrong and there are no more jobs, housing becomes amazingly expensive or there is none at all, or if I cannot walk down the street without peace of mind, I would then say that the PAP is finished.

We should change things. That is when I would want a good opposition that can change things to be in the parliament and make a difference to Singapore.

But for now, do we need that?

Han Fook Kwang
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Oh well, is the author trying to do a satire? I am not too sure but if he is...Lucky Tan got some serious competition.

Reasons why Mr Han might be a closeted satirist.

Let me give more background on Mr Han, without whom there will be no ST on our breakfast table.

Han Fook Kwang, 53, was from the Singapore administrative service. He started his career in The Straits Times as a senior leader/feature writer in 1989. He was promoted to associate political editor in 1992 and became the political editor in 1995. Promoted to his current post as Editor in 2002.

He co wrote with Warren Fernandez and Sumiko Tan, Lee Kuan Yew: The Man and His Ideas.

He is also in the Executive Committee of the Land Transport Authority. (LTA)

This is only what a simple google search dig up in 5 seconds. I am not surprised if Mr Han holds other important appointments in our society. I wished Mr Han the best of luck in his new founded interest in satire . Hopefully he will be do even better than Mr Lionel De Souza and Mr Khoo Lih-Han.

For the very curious, here is a photo of our new funny man at the lauch of STOMP. Foreground, second from left.


Updated : Suddenly, it occurs to me there might be another Mr Han Fook Kwang writing in from UK. If so, I must apologise to the "real" Mr Han Fook Kwang of ST for the mistaken identity.

Technorati: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't take him seriously.If you really read between the lines, you would realised that he is actually joking. This is a new way to express his dissent. Why I say so? Because he knows only a fool would believe him.

Thu Aug 17, 04:07:00 PM 2006  
Blogger nofearSingapore said...

Hi Wert,
I seriously doubt that this Mr. Han is the ST editor alluded.
His Engrish is not "powderful" enough!
If he was indeed THE Han Fook Kwang, surely the forum page would have acknowledged this.
Cheers!
Dr.Huang
PS: I don't agree with monopoly in politics! It is potentially tyranical.You know what they say about absolute power...

Fri Aug 18, 01:29:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why does his English need to be powerful? He does not have a background in journalism... in fact, many journalist-trained fellas in ST don't reach the top management...those positions are reserved for the civil service top guns =)

Fri Aug 18, 08:43:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Whispers from the heart said...

Not only civil service top guns ... but also must have a stint in ISD or SID previously.

:)

Fri Aug 18, 08:54:00 AM 2006  
Blogger wonky said...

I saw that letter too on the online forum yesterday. My eyes nearly popped out. I really don't think it's the real Han Fook Kwang, though. Seems a bit lame for him to write in to his own newspaper to wax lyrical about the ruling party, no?

Anyway, I did a google on '"han fook kwang" liverpool' but didn't find any relevant hits. So I don't think there's a real other HFK living in Liverpool.

My guess is that someone wrote this in as a prank and it got overlooked by the Forum editor. But, if this really is so, I'm surprised it's still up today.

Anyone else out there has any other conspiracy theories?

Fri Aug 18, 10:04:00 AM 2006  
Blogger wert said...

The tone of the letter is that of a prank. If it's a prank, it's a good one. :)

"pissed off", "...I know what I want and what I need" kind of set of the letter in a wierd start.

Maybe the forums editor's standing orders is to print everything that is "supportive" and "constructive".

I am sure he finds the letter to be wierd, but maybe name "Han Fook Kwang" tip the balance. I mean if you are not sure if it's not your boss's letter, you wouldn't have trashed it. Besides, the letter is "positive".

Fri Aug 18, 01:22:00 PM 2006  
Blogger nofearSingapore said...

Hi all,
I just can't imagine Mr. Han, an ex-editor saying "piss off" although I do admit that terms are being added into reputable dictionaries even as we speak.
Really don't need journalism training to climb the corporate ladder in SPH ah? That means I got hope. But my lack of ISD experience will be taken against me.
Sigh! Thought that if I get tired of competing with doctors who originate from China and India ( & elsewhere), can write some pro-PAP stuff and start 2nd career at ST !
Sigh!
Dr.H

Fri Aug 18, 04:39:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I am proven right that this letter to ST is meant to be a joke.

Fri Aug 18, 05:39:00 PM 2006  
Blogger wert said...

Mr Han isn't any small fry editor. He is the Editor of the ST, meaning he lords over 101 editors. It is a very senior post.

No one knows if this is a joke or not unless we can contact Mr Han of Liverpool.

Fri Aug 18, 06:34:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. i would guess that the main reason why we would want a small oppostition in parliment is for them to remind the pap that they cannot do as they please... take the current rise in fares... and RIGHT after the election... ZZz

Fri Aug 18, 10:40:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It goes to show that so long as you write a letter of praise about the government, it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, the State Times will publish it for all to read.And they they don't mind even if they know that it is written by a crackpot.

Sat Aug 19, 12:22:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/port...:1155954983409

Aug 19, 2006
Opposition parties have crucial role in Singapore's governance

I am writing in response to Mr Han Fook Kwang's letter "With the PAP in charge, who needs opposition parties?" (ST Online Forum, 17 Aug 2006).

In his letter, Mr Han extols the virtues of the squeaky clean, ultra efficient and truly impeccable PAP government.

While some of the points he raised are indisputable, nothing can be further away from the fact that a truly democratic government needs an opposition.

I am not advocating a complete overhaul of our government. Rather, there is a need for a more balanced view point.

The PAP government has done great wonders to transform our city state to what it is today. It is true that many in Singapore desire a safe country, strong economy and bright future for their children.

Yet as we continue to develop further, undoubtedly more Singaporeans, especially the young, want more than what the government can offer and has been offering.

We seek a more vibrant political landscape where there is room for political discourse and robust parliamentary debate. With a dominant party in the government, there is hardly any room for the latter, since final decisions are ultimately made by the dominant party.

We are proceeding into the next lap, where an open economy that is tolerant of alternative views is of paramount importance for our future.

We need to ask whether the PAP government can provide this, in addition to jobs, security and a clean government. We also need to consider Singapore's ability to attract top foreign talents, whether they will be put off and stifled by our draconian rules.

Similarly, we seek to be a research hub but are we willing to put up with some of the idiosyncracies of bright talents from abroad who may not be willing to jump on the bandwagon and follow a set of rigid rules?

The PAP, besides aiming to be hip and happening, must also examine some of its fundamental premises while retaining its core values so that it can evolve with the times and continue to appeal to voters.

My view is that the opposition still plays a crucial role in our country's governance.

Vincent Tan Yan Fu

Sat Aug 19, 04:19:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/port...:1155954983409

Aug 19, 2006
Opposition is needed in Parliament to challenge govt and question policies

I refer to Mr Han Fook Kwang's Online Forum letter "With the PAP in charge, who needs opposition parties?" dated Aug 17.

Like Mr Han, I am no politician. I'm an average, contented Singaporean.

While I agree totally that the PAP has done a marvellous job pertaining to job creation, low crime rate and a strong economy, I beg to differ with Mr Han's argument that many people feel Singapore is not democratic enough.

In layman's term, I would define democracy as freedom of choice, meaning that everyone can simply choose and decide what he wants. So what is the problem with having a different voice in parliament?

I do not need the PAP to do wrong things to get the opposition into parliament. By the same token, I do not need an accountant to do wrong calculations before the auditors are called in. Auditors, like the opposition, exist for a reason.

In fact, the PAP is doing a great job and there is nothing more I can ask for. There is really nothing wrong here and I have the impression that Mr Han feels that the opposition exists just to oppose, play the devil's advocate and create trouble for the government. This is not what I want the opposition for.

I definitely do not want the opposition to exist just for the sake of it either. I want the opposition to represent me and act as another voice in parliament to challenge and question the feasibility of policies, etc.

I totally disagree his statement "'why spoil something that's already working?" May I ask Mr Han what are we spoiling in this case? Does he feel that he will lose his job, the crime rate will increase the moment the opposition gets into parliament? We are not here to change things, we are here to improve things.

The parliament is a place where views and ideas can be freely argued and debated. With the different views, we can look at things from a different perspective and it is for the good of all Singaporeans. I am sure the opposition is not going to get into fights in parliament.

I can see that Mr Han's basic needs are well met and he is contented. Rest assured that as long as the PAP is the ruling party, Mr Han's basic needs will always be met. But if you ask me, "do we still need an opposition?" my answer is yes.

Annie Koh Seok Kien (Ms)

Sat Aug 19, 04:20:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Disclaimer: This blog is not intended to be authorative or clever in any way. It was based on rambling of a half crazed creature, so treat it as such and let it be! I was asked to keep my dangerous thoughts and unbalanced views all in one safe place , and so I did. Objectivity, Accuracy, Responsiblity and any High Standards are certainly not part of this blog's features. However, I must stress that I do not strive to mislead people, confuse people, and much less undermine our national strategy.